Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day fifty-six - I love...Waterhouse

This afternoon I spent some time browsing through some of my favourite paintings.

John William Waterhouse

I love his work - it moves me. it makes my heart happy to view his paintings.

I first stumbled across J.W. Waterhouse in my early 20's.  A Mermaid.
since then I have fallen in love with Miranda - The Tempest, Apollo and Daphne, Circe Offering the Cup to Ulysses, Echo and Narcissus, Penelope and the Suitors, Hylas and the Nymphs,The Lady of Shalott, The Siren, and all of the Ophelia paintings.

Today I fell in love with Boreas, Windflowers, and St Eulalia.

I love that so much of his work is based in Greek mythology. I love his interpretation of the Sirens, Nymphs, children of the gods; the loveliness of the faces he painted. There is emotion in the eyes of his subjects.

There is a magical...mystical passion in his work. and I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment